Call for Performances and Dance pieces
Looking for Performances / Dance pieces for the festival DANCE IN RESPONSE
„A Body in Resonance“
from November 3rd-5th, 2016 in the Kleinen Michel (St. Ansgar Church), Hamburg
Deadline: September 2nd, 2016
The second edition of DANCE IN RESPONSE will take place from November 3rd to 5th, 2016 in the Kleinen Michel in Hamburg. The theme this year is “A Body in Resonance”.
In this extraordinary place, an experimental (nondenominational) ‘play-space’ is created for contemporary dance and performance art, a space in which the artists can create an open dialog with each other, as well as with the audience.
Up to six choreographers or artist collectives will be invited to present their works on this year’s theme: “A Body in Resonance”. Choreography is broadly understood here, and it can range from dance and performance to installation and other interdisciplinary forms. The high-ceilinged and bright performance space, with an excellent acoustic and special architectural structure, allows for extraordinary theatre situations and a close proximity to the audience. Known and established artists as well as new and emerging artists are equally welcome.
Discussions, keynote speeches, workshops and moments of silence will allow us to reflect on the performances in relation to this year’s festival theme and the overarching question of responsibility – response-ability: What possibilities of ‘response’ do I have, as an artist, to the various challenges of life and society?
About the Festival Theme “A Body in Resonance”
What is the role of resonance in the context of performance art? To which levels of resonance can the performers and the public go – from sensual/physical to intellectual? How can a dance performance echo beyond the borders of a night-at-the-theatre and have a social impact? These questions and many others on the theme “A Body in Resonance” are an invitation to explore artistically within the (sound) space of the church. We are excited to hear your ideas!
About the Festival Spirit
DANCE IN RESPONSE is a small festival and therein lies its charm: the artists come together with the audience in a direct exchange and, in this way, they can get to know each other better and network. In addition, the moments of silence before and after each performance open up to another reception experience and allow a special attention to the works on display. We call upon participants who wish to spend both days (November 3rd and 4th) with us in the church and who wish to see the other performances and engage in dialog – in other words, to go into resonance. Moreover, we are looking for a readiness to help the other artists and the festival team during the free afternoons before the performances. Last year’s experiences have shown that a special, communal atmosphere is possible.
- each artist will receive a performance fee of 250€
- the stage is at least 7mx8m and at the centre of the hall (see picture), dance flooring available
- the foyer and the church entrance (outdoor) may also be used as performance venues
- accommodations must be organized by the artists (we can help in the search)
- we will try to reimburse travel expenses, but this cannot be guaranteed at this point
- on Saturday, November 5th, 2016, the space is available for artists to offer a workshop in the church (self-directed and self-organized)
- only simple light and sound tech of the church is available (no theatre lights)
- applications from all over Germany can be sent until September 2nd, 2016
- results will be announced around September 12th, 2016
- please applications by E-Mail to email@example.com
- applications must include (combined in a PDF of max. 4 pages):
- a short description of the project with visuals or video link
- technical and space requirements
- a short biography and roles of each participant
- motivation for the participation and how the piece relates to the theme “A Body in Resonance”
We look forward to your applications!
your DANCE IN RESPONSE Team